Maine Lobster Mac and Cheese with Allagash Pairing
Our friends from Allagash Brewing Company prepared this recipe and gave an expert advised beer pairing:
“Maine lobster is a pretty versatile ingredient. In this recipe, the subtle flavor and texture of the lobster pairs really nicely with the savory bite of the cheese. On top of that, the citrus and spice character in Allagash White balances out the sharper notes of the cheese.”
– Sean Ellsworth, Senior Brewer
- 1/2 quart heavy cream
1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 4 ounces roux (equal parts flour and butter, cooked together until lightly browned)
- 2 cups shredded good quality cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked peppercorns
- 1 pound cooked macaroni
- 1 pound Maine Lobster meat, chopped
- Bring heavy cream to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce and add mustard, bay leaves, cloves and cook 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove cloves and bay leaves. Add roux and cook for an additional 5 minutes, then add cheese, salt, and pepper and whisk until the cheese is melted and well combined.
- Add macaroni and Maine Lobster and place in an ovenproof baking dish and bake for 15 minutes at 375° F.
- Pair with Allagash White