Store Maine Lobster
There’s nothing quite like the taste of fresh Maine Lobster. It’s sweet, it’s salty and it’s so good you sometimes consider moving to Bar Harbor so you can enjoy the taste year-round.
But you don’t have to move to the coast of Maine to enjoy the fresh taste of Maine Lobster, you just have to know what you’re doing.
OPTION 1: COOK THE LOBSTER
Ideally, live Maine Lobster should be cooked the same day it is bought or delivered. Make sure that all the lobsters are alive before cooking – check for movement, raising claws, curling tail. This will ensure the lobster is fresh, delicious and not deteriorated.
Lobster can also be stored for a day or two by using the following techniques:
OPTION 2: STORE IN THE FRIDGE
Live lobster can be stored in the fridge if you need an additional day before you are ready to cook. Here are some things to keep in mind when you’re storing:
- Container: Lobsters should be placed in an open container. They need to breathe, so a closed Tupperware or a sealed bag will suffocate them. It is best to use a cardboard box, lobster pot or thick paper bag.
- Temperature: Lobsters should ideally be stored in a fridge that is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not put your lobster in a freezer as it is too cold.
- Moisture: Lobsters need to be kept moist, but not wet, to stay fresh. Cover them with seaweed or damp newspaper. Do not store them with ice or in tap water as fresh water will kill them.
OPTION 3: STORE IN A TANK
Businesses that regularly need to store lobsters for several days may want to invest in a tank system. There are many things to keep in mind with a tank. Make sure to:
- Invest in good filtration. The water needs to be kept balanced to ensure the lobsters are healthy.
- Use materials that are resistant to mold and breakage. Materials, such as pipes or filters, that are constantly breaking or molding will obviously hurt the quality of the lobster.
- Install a backup power system. The power goes out. It happens. Some things can withstand a few hours without power, but a lobster tank cannot.
- Use salted water. Lobsters can only live in saltwater. Do not use fresh water or they will die.
Ready to order live lobster straight to your door? Use our database [HYPERLINK] to buy from one of Maine’s hardworking lobster businesses.