PRESERVING OUR OCEANS AND COASTS
Maine lobstermen have long prided themselves on their sustainability efforts, with self-imposed rules to protect the lobster resource and coastal environments in place since the 1800s. Lobstermen know that in order to preserve the fishery and their way of life, they must also protect the Gulf of Maine and the sea creatures who call it home.
The fishery has partnered with scientific and environmental organizations to adapt their techniques, equipment and practices to meet changing environmental needs. Over the years, this has meant initiatives like:
- Developing and using low-impact gear to protect juvenile lobsters and the ocean environment
- Tail notching to protect breeding females
- Opposing legislation to allow indiscriminate lobster harvesting by dragging
- Setting limits on traps to manage effort on the fishery
- Setting size limits on legal lobsters to maximize breeding potential
- Mandating apprentice programs to ensure young lobstermen learn sustainability measures
The fishery has worked tirelessly to preserve the lobster resource and the marine life, including North Atlantic right whales. Since the 1990s, lobstermen have been taking proactive steps to protect the endangered species and ensure the fishery and the whales can co-exist.
LOBSTER INDUSTRY IN ACTION
On top of the standards followed by all lobstermen to protect the Maine marine environment and all animals who live here, many have stepped up to ingrain green initiatives into their Maine Lobster businesses.
- The Cranberry Isle Fishermen’s Co-op is 100% solar powered.
- Ready Seafood committed to becoming the first carbon neutral seafood company in America.
- Luke’s Lobster runs on 100% renewable energy.
STEWARDS OF THE SEA
Maine’s lobstermen have built a legacy – one built on delicious seafood, hard work and, most importantly, sustainability. As these Mainers have grown the fishery, they have also preserved the lobster population, Maine’s rich sea life and pristine waters.WATCH THE SERIES
Sustainability At Work
Partnering In Science
A LEGACY OF SUSTAINABILITY
The Maine Lobster fishery is one of the most sustainable fisheries in the world. And it didn’t become that way overnight. For generations, lobstermen, lawmakers and scientists have been working together to sustain the lobster resource and Maine’s marine environment.Learn More
SUSTAINING MAINE’S PRISTINE COASTLINE
Maine’s coastlines are picturesque. Cold clear waters surround Maine’s harbors and offer a nurturing refuge to an assortment of sea life – ranging from fish to crustaceans to mammals. The setting is serene and magical – and Mainers have worked hard to keep it that way.Learn More
THE FISHERY IS MY LIFE. I LIVE, BREATHE AND SLEEP LOBSTERING FOR MY SURVIVAL AND FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO COME.
Order from Maine
Explore local companies, dealers and suppliersView all Lobster Businesses
"*" indicates required fields